Head of Strategic Risk Management
Strategic risk management has become a key discipline in our transforming industry. Are you the person to shape the future?
We are looking to hire a new Head of Strategic Risk Management.
The position will be located in Stockholm (preferred), or Amsterdam.
About the position
In Vattenfall, risk management practises are integrated in executive steering and decision making to support the company’s value creation and sustainability ambitions. The Strategic Risk Management function is placed at the core of Vattenfall’s strategic steering towards a fossil-free living in one generation. Using its in-house developed cutting-edge asset portfolio analytics, Strategic Risk Management provides risk-return insight to top management to support portfolio strategies as well as risk-adjusted return target setting for investments. The function also acts as second-line-of-defence quality assurance for key valuation models and methods deployed for major project decisions and carries the reporting duties on the company’s lifetime asset portfolio value.
As Head of Strategic Risk Management you autonomously engage in strategic projects and discussions with senior/executive management at Group- and Business level. You are leading a team of five highly skilled quantitative risk analysts in a wide discipline across different locations. Together with your team you are responsible for maintaining and further developing the team’s advanced asset portfolio analytics and fundamental energy-economic modelling. As a leader you foster empowerment, focus on people development and support your team in complex, analytical challenges and the writing of executive reports.
Strategic Risk Management is part of Vattenfall’s top-class Risk Management organisation that has the overarching responsibility and accountability for the risk management framework within Vattenfall as second-line-of-defence. This includes ensuring the adherence of business areas and staff functions to the risk governance in Vattenfall, the coordination and safeguarding of risk reporting and providing transparency of Vattenfall’s risk positions, and executive decision making support for the business and top management.
· Decision-support to top management in the form of independent executive review reports on Vattenfall’s proprietary long-term price projections
· Annual valuation and reporting duties on Vattenfall’s Group asset portfolio fair value
· Deep-dives and presentations to senior management on Vattenfall’s long-term portfolio wholesale risk profile development
· Methodological innovation and quantitative support on strategic steering KPIs such risk-return metrices to facilitate investments, partnerships and long-term agreements
· Model review reports of complex valuation methodologies
· Continuous development of the team’s long-term portfolio risk simulation analytics
Your role as a leader of Strategic Risk Management
· Develop a highly engaged and qualified team of risk professionals
· Build a clear vision for the team to efficiently and consistently prioritize across a wide range of requests
· Delegate work to enable your direct reports to grow, facilitate teamwork and provide autonomy
· Create an inspiring team environment with an open communication culture
· Passion to spur continuous improvements in strategic risk steering using solid quantitative analysis
· Liaison and close cooperation with other departments of Staff Function Risk Management, Corporate Finance and Group Strategy as well as business units
· Represent Strategic Risk Management by presenting key team deliverables to senior management and participating in Group-wide strategic projects
· Ad-hoc support to CEO, CFO, Board of Directors and other top management
· Active participation in the Corporate Risk management team
This position reports to the Director Corporate Risk Management.
· Academic degree in mathematics, natural science, engineering, econometrics, or an equivalent quantitative field
· Minimum of 7 years of industry work experience in a relevant quantitative role with successful leadership track record
· Solid expertise in European energy market, asset optimisation, risk modelling, and corporate finance. Knowledge of Vattenfall’s operations is advantageous
· Very strong analytical skills and a didactical talent to abstract complex quantitative matters into impactful communication suitable for an executive audience
· A curious and creative mind with the ability to think conceptually and out of the box
· Resilient and dependable personality with high motivation, flexibility, humour, empathy, and drive
· Open, positive and active leadership style
· Strong team approach with very good intercultural skills and people orientation
· Aptitude to build and manage relationships across a diverse company
· Courage to speak up and embrace challenges with a drive to seek value-adding solutions
· Acting with integrity at all times
· Fluent in English, Swedish language skills expedient. Complementary Dutch or German skills are an advantage
About the organisation
Our offer Good remuneration, a challenging and international work environment, and the possibility to work with some of the best in the field. You will be working in interdisciplinary teams and you can always count on support from committed colleagues. We offer attractive employment conditions and opportunities for personal and professional development.
At Vattenfall we are convinced that diversity contributes to build a more profitable and attractive company and we strive to be good role model regarding diversity. Vattenfall works actively for all employees to have the same opportunities and rights regardless of gender,
ethnicity, age, transgender identity or expression, religion or other belief, disability or sexual orientation. Read more about diversity and other benefits here: https://careers.vattenfall.com/global/en/about-us
Location: Stockholm (preferred) or Amsterdam. This position requires occasionally traveling to other European Vattenfall offices.
We welcome your application in English, no later than 17/9 2023. In this process we might have an ongoing selection, do not hesitate to send in your application today.
An assessment will be part of the recruitment process.
We look forward to receiving your application!
Since Vattenfall is part of the Swedish critical infrastructure are many of our positions security classed. If this position is security classed the final candidates can be subject to a security vetting process, according to the Swedish legislation.